Blog Post #4

1. List 5 examples of propaganda techniques Old Major uses in his speech. You must have at least five SPECIFIC examples. (i.e. When Old Major says that “the very instant that our usefulness has come to an end we are slaughtered” he is appealing to the animals’ fear of death).

Old Major has a lot of propaganda techniques in his speech. Five of them are: 1. “I do not think, comrades, that i shall be with you for many months longer, and before I die, I feel it my duty to pass on to you such wisdom as I have aquired.” Old Major is appealing to Sympathy to Underdog. He is trying to make the animals feel sorry for him so they will listen. 2. “the very instant that our usefulness has come to an end we are slaughtered with hideous cruelty.” He is appealing to Fears. He is trying to scare them soo much that they will want very badly to get rid of the item that is frightening them. 3. “The life of and animal is misery and slavery: this is the plain truth.” He is using Loaded Words. He uses scary, bad words that mean alot to them and gives them feelings that aren’t pleasant. 4. “There, comrades, is the answer to all our problems. It is summed up in a single word—Man. Man is the only real enemy we have. Remove Man from the scene, and the root cause of hunger and overwork is abolished for ever.” Old Major is using Repetition. He keeps repeating the word “Man.” He’s probably trying to scare them too. 5. “Rebellion!” He is  using Loaded Words. He is trying to rouse their excitment by yelling the word, Rebellion.

Martin Luther King:

1. On the same blog post, list at least 5 examples of propaganda MLK uses in his speech. You must have at least five SPECIFIC examples. If you need the text of the speech click the link below: http://www.mlkonline.net/dream.html

Dr. King uses a lot of propaganda too. Five of those techniques are: 1. “But one hundred years later, we must face the tragic fact that the Negro is still not free. One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the Negro is still languishing in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land. So we have come here today to dramatize an appalling condition.” He is using repetition to really drive his point across of how long the Negroes have been unfairly treated. 2. “Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of captivity.” He is using Loaded Words to express his opinion on the matter. 3. “Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to open the doors of opportunity to all of God’s children. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood.” MLK is Appealing to Sympathy for Underdog. He is telling how they have been unjustly treated. 4. “We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force. The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny and their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom. We cannot walk alone.” He is appealing to Desires and Needs right here. The desire and need to be treated right. 5. “I have a dream…I have a dream…I have a dream…I have a dream…I have a dream…I have a dream…I have a dream…I have a dream.” He is using Repetition here to drive his point home that he has had a dream.

2. Discuss what techniques you noticed that were similar for both Old Major and MLK.  Identify what techniques were used and why the speaker chose to use these techniques (what was the desired effect?).

They both used Repetition and Loaded Words. They both chose these techniques because they were talking to the minority of a societ… the people that aren’t treated well and want something more out of their life than just be treated like trash.

3. Discuss how Old Major’s and MLK’s speeches are different? Identify what techniques MLK used that were different than Old Major. Why did the speaker choose these techniques (what was the desired effect?). 

Old Major’s speech is more violent that MLK’s. Old Major was trying to use fear alot to drive all the animals into rebellion. MLK was trying to give his fellow people hope to fight for their rights and to stop be separated from the rest of their fellow human beings.